Dr. Javier Vilcáez, Associate Professor
My current research is on the Water-Energy-CO2 nexus. I conduct experimental and computational research on the hydrological, geochemical, and microbiological factors and interactions that control the multiphase bio-geochemical reactive transport of gas, aqueous, and hydrocarbon compounds in deep and shallow geological formations of complex heterogeneous porous media, at both the pore- and field-scale levels. The focus is on groundwater quality, petroleum produced water treatment and disposal, geological carbon storage and utilization, and enhanced oil recovery. The goal is to develop new environmental technologies and computational methodologies to minimize the environmental burden of and optimize the development of subsurface energy and groundwater resources. So far, my research has resulted in more than 40 peer-reviewed articles published in energy, mineral, and groundwater journals. I value independence, the majority of my publications are as first and/or corresponding author of research done by myself and with undergraduate and graduate students working under my supervision.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com
Office Telephone: 405-744-6361
Research Lab Location
Noble Research Center 408 and 409 (BPSoG)
This laboratory has two hoods, ample power supply, pressured air, vacuum, sinks, storage cabinets and shelves. This laboratory is designed to perform multiphase reactive transport and microbiological experiments at deep geological formation conditions. This laboratory is equipped with:
- Two RCH series core-holders (Core Laboratories), Hassler loading type, core diameter 1 and 1 ½ inch, core length 1 – 12 inch, max working pressure 10,000 psi, max working temperature 150°C.
- Three Floating piston accumulators (Vinci Tech), displacement volume capacity 1 L, max working pressure 10,000 psi, max working pressure 150°C.
- Heating system for RCH core-holder (Core Laboratories), includes heating jacket and controller.
- 260 Dual syringe pump (Teledyne ISCO), displacement volume capacity 266 ml, high temperature package, flow range 0.001 – 107 ml/min, pressure range 0 – 7,500 psi.
- Dual piston pump (Chrom Tech), flow range 0.001 – 12.0 ml/min, pressure range 0 – 6,000 psi.
- ER5000 Automatic back pressure controller kit (Rosemount), max inlet pressure 3,500 psi.
- Two differential pressure transmitters (Rosemount), pressure range 0.0 – 300 psi, and -200 – 2,000 psi.
- Uniaxial compression system (X-press), max pressure 5,000 psi.
- Carver 4387NE bench top automatic pellet laboratory press (70 Ton)
- Fisher Scientific Tracer 1310 Gas chromatographer with 2 TCD detectors for CH4, CO2, H2, O2, H2S and N2 gas analysis.
- Labconco Class II biosafety cabinet.
- Heratherm 180 L Advanced protocol microbiological incubator.
- Thermo Scientific Precision gravity convection incubator.
- VWR 23CF Refrigerator with glass doors.
- Autoclave Tuttnauer Model 2340.
- Sartorius AriumPro Ultrapure water system
- Hach sensION+ benchtop pH Meter
- Navigator XT portable balance
- Adventurer precision analytical balance
- PGI Accelerator Fortran/C/C++ Workstation compiler, Comsol Multiphysics, Tecplot, Toughreact, Tough2, and PetraSim.